Watch Our Progress

easy fundraisers

Friday, November 30, 2012

It's funny...but it's not

My main focus right now at work is life insurance and educating people on the importance of it.  It's hard to convey to younger people that it's cheaper now than when you are older and although it might be crude, everyone dies.  It's responsible, especially if you have children, to get something in place so they are left with the funds for their future or to at least pay for your funeral.

So a girl at work took out a life insurance policy on her daughter when she was born.  At the time, she really only took it out to help us get our application count.  But when she was a few years old she started having seizures and is now on an anti seizure medication that she will probably have to take for the rest of her life.  Thank goodness she took out that policy on her daughter when she was born because now her daughter is ineligible for any sort of life insurance policy because of her seizure condition.

When I was home for Thanksgiving I had a conversation with my dad about that situation because I was considering getting policies for my neices as part of their Christmas presents.  My dad had mentioned that it's pretty rare that kids become uninsurable...especially from a seizure.  I actually agreed with him because it's not too common that I know of. Therefore, I'm pretty sure he jinxed the fact that as soon as we got home Sanai had a seizure.

I literally had the application for her life insurance in my computer bag, I've just been waititng for her social security number to be issued.  NEVER did I think she would have a seizure.  That's the whole point though...you never know when something will happen to you or someone you love and it's better to be prepared!!

Luckily, her seizure was caused by a fever and it isn't something that requires medication.  But her life insurace will now be higher because of the seizure and will be considered for a lower rate two years from the date it's issued if she doesn't have anymore seizures.

It's funny that only a few days ago my dad had mentioned how it was pretty uncommon for kids to have uninsurable conditions...but it's not really that funny.

1 comment:

  1. It always pays to take proactive steps rather than reactive! Good for you :-)

    ReplyDelete