Watch Our Progress

easy fundraisers

Friday, August 31, 2012

Doctor visit

Monday was Sanai's visit with the International Adoption Clinic at Vanderbilt Hospital in Nashville.  She did really great on the car ride there, she slept most of the way!  When we got there we checked in and waited to be called back.  She happily sat in her car seat in the waiting room.


I was asked a lot of questions about her behavior and sleeping habits.  She has nights where she sleeps from 8pm until 5:30-6am and then other nights where she wakes up two or three times.  I hadn't realized that perhaps when she was at the orphanage/transition house that she was woken up for a scheduled nightly feeding.  The doctor said that the bottle might be her "pacifier" and be the thing that gets her back to sleep.  I had been giving her a bottle right before bed so she suggested we do a feeding, then do bath time, then put her to sleep so she can learn to fall asleep on her own.  Since we don't really have a routine down yet this is what we have been working on the past few days.


The doctor also suggested we start her on rice cereal and slowly introduce fruits and vegetables since she's 6 months.  She's slowly learning how to swallow solids and that weird spoon in her mouth that she's not used to.  We introduced sweet potatoes on Wednesday and they've been a hit!


I was actually really proud of myself because Micah has been home sick the past few days and I was able to take care of him, keep the house clean, give Sanai a lot of attention and while she was playing/napping I whipped up a batch of homemade sweet potatoe baby food!  I made a lot of Micah's baby food when he was little because it's SOO much cheaper, really easy and you know exactly what it's got in it.  I peeled, chunked and boiled the potatoes in water on the stove.  Then put the soft potatoes in the blender along with some of the water and poured what would fit into an ice cube tray and the rest in small containers that I put in the freezer.


Consider how much food this is (ice cube tray not shown, but full in the freezer!) for $2.40.  Imagine how many jars that is!!  I'll be on the look out for peaches, carrots, squash and apples when they go on sale.  My blender doesn't blend peas, green beans or meats (when she's ready) very smoothly so I always buy those jars...with coupons of course! ha ha

No comments:

Post a Comment